30 August 2007

Dreams, dreams, dreams...

I was chatting away to Jana the other day. She asked me about my dreams, and I hadn’t thought about it much lately, so after a while of deliberation I came up with my oldest dream. I would like to write a book (or a series of books), and I would like to buy a Fisher sailing boat and live on it for at least 4-6 months every year. I know, it’s cold and all that in Edinburgh, but we’re also on the Gulf Stream and get a lot of warm weather fronts right past our coastal line. I don’t need much luxury and the ability to lift anchor whenever we feel like it and travel somewhere, really appeals to me… The boat to the left is one of my dreams, a Fisher 34, although if we wanted to live on her, we'd really need a 37 foot boat, so a Fisher 37 it would need to be.

Have you ever thought about living on a ship in Europe? If so let me know, and write a comment, because I’d like to know. If you have actually researched the subject - even better. It scares me a little but I think that it’s a risk worth taking.

I remember when I was still together with Julie, we went on a holiday down to Cornwall, to stay with her aunt and uncle in Falmouth. We attended a sailing taster course which was terrifyingly brilliant. It was so exciting being blown about on a 14” dinghy in the old Cornish harbour. When we got back to the sailing school, the elderly owner’s wife greeted us, looking positively petrified and asking: “You didn’t, did you?...” meaning she thought we’d capsized because we were soaked, and she wondered if indeed we had swam to safety…

No comments:


And why Scotland...

In 1987 I was travelling around Europe when while in the South of France I came across a couple from Scotland. I liked them immediately and they said that I must go and visit the place. I didn’t even know where Scotland was, and I had absolutely nothing planned, so I said: “ok, why not, lets go and check the place out”. I didn’t go back to Germany for 5 years.

So, why Scotland, you may ask?... I think it’s the place, the people, the wilderness and all the things you just can’t find anywhere else. I love it!